Sunday, February 13, 2011

Surfing ‘near death accidents’ could be avoided - 12 January 2010

Greens MP and avid surfer Ian Cohen believes increased use of surfing helmets could prevent horrendous accidents similar to that of 10 year old Pascal Dattler in Byron Bay last week. Pascal’s skull was shattered in a surfing accident where the board of another surfer hit Pascal in the head. Ian, an experienced surfer of 40 years has been wearing a surfing helmet for the last decade.

“When we have accidents similar to Pascal’s we are reminded of the importance of protective helmets for surfers. Statistics show that 80% of injuries in surfing are head injuries. Helmets do not get in the way and are a distinct safety advantage with sunnies attached and a shell to protect the head,” says Mr Cohen.

“I have been surfing the iconic east coast surf spot, ‘The Pass’ at Byron Bay, since 1970. It can be a particularly dangerous spot with intense overcrowding in a narrow take off area. While crowd reduction is not possible, we can make the situation safer and avoid serious accidents by surfers using helmets.”

“I have a surfing helmet that I have used for years. Only last year my helmet saved my life. When I was surfing big ‘post cyclone’ waves at Byron Beach a gust of wind flicked my surfboard at my head smashing a massive hole in my Kevlar helmet. I have rarely surfed without a safety helmet since.”

“Surfing hire business should have comprehensive surfing safety information and helmets for hire with the boards. It is also a case of education and encouraging the wearing of surf helmets.”

“Surfing is like a last frontier without regulation. Surfers can be difficult to organise but we all have a responsibility to ourselves and others in the water. I would like to see surf helmets become a fashion and professional surfers have a role to play in leading the way. What other sport has participants in the blazing sun for hours without cover.”

“Surfing is my great love as it is to many thousands of others. It is a joyous way for kids to let off steam. Safety awareness should enhance the enjoyment and governments should investigate subsidising headware for the kids in the surf.”


Further Information: Ian Cohen: 0409 989 466

No comments:

Post a Comment